Williamson County Sheriff's Office
The first Williamson County Jail was a small log cabin that was purchased on January 8, 1840. It was located just off the Square in Marion on Lot No. 2, Block No. 8.
The Williamson County Government constructed a new Sheriff's Office and Jail in 1895. This building was a two-story brick building, and was used until 1913.
On June 7, 1912 the Williamson County Government began discussions on building a new jail. On September 30, 1913 a new Sheriff's Office and Jail were opened at 105 S. Van Buren Street in Marion. This building now houses the Williamson County Historical Society.
In April of 1964 the Williamson County Judges went to the Williamson County Building Commission and requested that a new court house be built. On November 19, 1971 the dedication ceremony was held to open the new courthouse at 200 West Jefferson Street in Marion. On January 18, 1972 the new Sheriff's Office and Jail were opened in the Courthouse. The Jail remained at this location until February 19, 2012.
Pictures courtesy of the Williamson County Historical Society.
In January 2007, Williamson County began the long process of building a new Jail and Sheriff's Office. On February 19, 2012 the new Williamson County Jail and Sheriff's Office officially opened the new state of the art 244 bed facility.
The Williamson County Jail is operated by Jail Administrator Sam Jordan, along with a very professional and highly trained staff. All Correctional staff undergo the State of Illinois Training Board Certified 200 Hour Academy. Williamson County Correctional Officers are responsible for preserving order inside the Jail by enforcing the facility's Rules and Regulations and conducting shakedowns (the process of searching for contraband). This is done to help ensure inmate health and safety, staff safety, and to prevent escapes.