Jail History

Sheriff Bennie Vick

 In January 2007, Williamson County began the long process of building a new Jail and Sheriff's Office.  On February 19, 2012 the new Williamson County Jail and Sheriff's Office officially opened the new state of the art 244 bed facility.

Sheriff Tom Cundiff

Sheriff Thomas Dowell

Bennie Vick, Sheriff

Williamson County Sheriff's Office

In April of 1964 the Williamson County Judges went to the Williamson County Building Commission and requested that a new court house be built.  On November 19, 1971 the dedication ceremony was held to open the new courthouse at 200 West Jefferson Street in Marion.  On January 18, 1972 the new Sheriff's Office and Jail were opened in the Courthouse.  The Jail remained at this location until February 19, 2012.

On June 7, 1912 the Williamson County Government began discussions on building a new jail.  On September 30, 1913 a new Sheriff's Office and Jail were opened at 105 S. Van Buren Street in Marion.  This building now houses the Williamson County Historical Society.

The first Williamson County Jail was a small log cabin that was purchased on January 8, 1840.  It was located just off the Square in Marion on Lot No. 2, Block No. 8.
The Williamson County Government constructed a new Sheriff's Office and Jail in 1895.  This building was a two-story brick building, and was used until 1913.

Sheriff Milo Duncan

Williamson County Sheriff's Office
404 N. Van Buren
Marion, IL  62959
Tx:  618-997-6541
Office Fax:  618-998-2296
Dispatch Fax:  618-997-1301

wcsheriff@wcsheriff.com

New Jail 1913

New Jail 1895

Sheriff Russell Oxford

New Jail 1972

Williamson County Sheriff's Office

Williamson County Sheriff's Office

New Jail 2012

Bennie Vick

Jail History